Crostini with Feta and Pear-Strawberry Salsa
Fresh pears and strawberries are the stars of this slightly spicy salsa, combined with mild and salty feta cheese and served atop a crisp toast. This recipe is ideal for spring and summer entertaining, whether for a casual backyard barbecue or an elegant soiree.
- 2 Comice or Green Anjou Pears diced in ¼-inch cubes
- 2 tbsps fresh lime juice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsps finely chopped jalapeno
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild feta cheese or ricotta salata
- Salt to taste
- Baguette or French bread cut in ¼-inch thick slices brushed with olive oil and toasted Whole cilantro leaves for garnish
- Toss diced pear with lime juice and let sit a few minutes before adding strawberries, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and olive oil.
- Just prior to serving, crumble feta cheese into salsa. Taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Spoon salsa onto toasts and arrange on serving platter.
- Garnish each crostini with a cilantro leaf.